Saturday, September 29, 2012



Balinese Dance






Batik






Wood Carvings






Baby monkey






Chillin'






Monkeying Around






Sunglasses






Markets






Nasi Goreng






Rice Terrace



September 29, 2012: Bali! [Morning Edition] Bobby picked me up at 7:30am for my tour of the island.  We started at a traditional Balinese dance, which featured elaborate costumes and neat music.  After that, we went through several villages. “This one is known for jewelry”, “This one is known for Batik”, “This one is known for wood carving”, and so on. Picked up a few souvenirs along the way.  


I would absolutely love to come here, buy all sorts of furniture and decor, and put it on a cargo ship back to the US.  Amazing quality and attention to detail, and extremely fine materials.


Then we went to the Sacred Monkey Forest in Ubud, which was a riot.  These monkeys are so used to humans feeding them, they were not ashamed to come right up to you.  I saw one guy standing frozen as monkeys checked his pockets and cargo pockets for food.   I bought a few bananas to feed the monkeys and promptly ended up with wild monkeys climbing all over me… cool and frightening at the same time.


The monkeys would take anything shiny as well.  Unfortunately, I saw a monkey chewing on sunglasses (above), a water bottle + cap, a plastic bag, and more. #sadface


Next stop was a local market, but I was over that pretty quickly. Every shop has the same crap, everyone wants to make you “good deal”, etc. I think Bobby was surprised how quickly I wanted to leave, but these markets look the same in every country. No thanks.


For lunch, we went to a rice terrace where I had fried rice (nasi goreng) from the field below.  It was delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment