Wednesday, February 8, 2012



A local walking through Souq Waqif






Souq Waqif, lots of great food & hookah






Museum of Islamic Art






On the shore of Doha






Saw a lot of these guys riding around.






7th Century Qur'an






Museum of Islamic Art






Hanging out at Souq Waqif






Ready for work.






MAGNIFICENT sunrise



February 8, 2012: Today is a stopover in Doha, Qatar. I landed at 6am and fly out tonight at 12:50am.  I was treated to an amazing sunset as we descended to land (last picture). Grabbed a hotel for $11 thanks to a Hotels.com coupon I earned on a promo last year, since I really just needed the room to put my stuff and get a shower.


Doha is a pretty fascinating place.  Surrounded by Saudi Arabia and the Persian Arabian Persian Gulf, it’s an Islamic state, home of Al Jazeera, and it’s extremely abundant in natural gas and oil. The wealth/poverty reminded me a lot of Dubai. Lots of foreign labor, I spoke with a Filipino man for quite awhile about his 2 years here and leaving his family/kids to come make money. What a sacrifice!


I spent most of my time outside of the business district, walking the Corniche around the Souq Waqif / Museum of Islamic Art / Gold Souq area. There was plenty to see on my stopover.  Going to grab a quick shower and head back to the airport. Hard to believe that this time tomorrow I’ll be sleeping in a tent under the stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment