Sunday, November 3, 2013




































November 3, 2013: [A380 Edition] Boarding time. Being a smart traveler, I had done a bit of research on the ‘experience’ and known what to expect as far as the flight was concerned.  I knew to ask for the separate bed rather than my lay-flat seat. I knew to request the Dom Perignon after boarding. I knew to request the Givenchy pajamas for the overnight flight.


Well guess what… I didn’t need to know any of that. From the moment I stepped on board, I was delivered 5-star service.  (Did I mention yet that I used MILES FOR THIS?!?!?!?!) 


"Welcome aboard! Here is our 2004 Vintage Dom Perignon. I’ll bring the Krug Grand Cuvee by shortly so that you may sample it as well."


"What size of pajamas would you like for this evening?"


"We noticed that you recently celebrated your 30th birthday, congratulations!"


What is this? Where am I?


And the aroma.  Oh, the wonderful aroma of leather. From the site



You can luxuriate in your very own private space in our largest ever armchair hand-stitched by master Italian craftsmen Poltrona Frau.



Don’t mind if I do.


Dinner was caviar, followed by a sunchoke soup with pomegranate glaze and salad, and a braised lamb shank with couscous. All in front of my 23” TV screen. (The width of an economy seat on a regional jet is 17.3”)


My biggest regret is skipping dessert.  I decided to get to sleep on the short 7 hour flight and with 6 hours left I didn’t want to waste another minute. I hopped up to go to the bathroom and brush my teeth, and when I returned my suite was magically transformed into a double bed, without my asking.  They asked if I’d like to be woken up for breakfast (no thanks!) and I closed my door and window shades and fell asleep.  I was awoken 30 minutes before landing and informed I would need to move back to into my seat for landing.   Went to brush my teeth, came back and the bed was gone.  Just like that.


Prior to disembarkation I was given a few goodies (A380 postcard, playing cards, 2 teddy bears for the kids, a backpack, the pajamas, the amenity kit, etc.)


When they thanked me for flying with them as I was exiting the plane, I am pretty sure I forgot to respond…


I was speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment