Thursday, September 15, 2011



Karissa's iPhone = located.






Bring me the phone and no one gets hurt!






Stakeout.






GOT IT!






Meeting the Sprinkles down the road






Celebration at Yogi!



September 15, 2011: Today was pretty boring, and I was thinking Bella or Em for pic of the day. But then… I see on Facebook. Karissa forgot her cell phone at the Kroger right next to our house.  So I head that way to see if anyone turned it in. On the way, I call her husband Cameron, to see if she had Find my iPhone installed.  She did.


Then things got much more interesting.


Find my iPhone marked her phone at a neighborhood about 3-4 miles away from Kroger. So instead of pulling in to Kroger, I head that way.  Cameron gives me the location, but the app is placing the location of the phone right in the middle of the road.  So I arrive, and I see a house on each side of the GPS marker.  Both have cars in the driveway and windows open.  Ok, let’s go find the phone.


I go up to the first house, and a lady comes to the door. “Hi, sorry to bother you but my friend lost her phone at Kroger today, and GPS says it’s in this area.” She bluntly responds “Well I was at Kroger today, but I ain’t stealin’ no phones.” While talking to her, I send an alert to the phone via the app, and tune my ears to listen for the noise.  Nothing.  I let her finish her rant about how she didn’t do nothing wrong, say thanks, and cross the street to house #2.  Knock knock, same deal.  Do you have the phone? “I went to Kroger this morning, but I didn’t see a phone and I don’t have it. Sorry!”


Who’s telling the truth?


Cameron calls me and says they are on the way, so I check a few more houses outside of the GPS range.  No one home, some lady painting, another lady who says she hasn’t left the house.  At that point Cameron has called a friend who is a cop, who recommends he just call the Fishers PD to come because the GPS is reliable and accurate, and when the cop comes knocking people usually cough it up.


While waiting, I send another message to the phone, basically saying “I’m outside. Bring the phone to me, please.”  Then I pulled my car down to the cul-de-sac, where I can meet Cameron and talk to him about what’s happened without being in hearing distance of the houses.


So I park, and I wait.


Then, through my rearview, I see a garage door closing.  Was it house #1? No, it was the house next to it, a house that I rang the doorbell and got no answer. If they weren’t there then, they are now.


So I pull the car back down the road, park, and head up to the door.  Ring ring.  Nothing.  Knock knock.  Nothing.  As I walk back to the car, a lady opens a window on the second floor and asks “Who’s out there?”


"Well, my friend was at Kroger and lost her phone, and the GPS says it’s here."  I didn’t mean to be so blunt with my wording, I meant here as in "here in the area." But, I guess it worked.


"You know what… wait there a second!"


She comes downstairs, opens the garage door, walks to the front of the garage… and pulls the iPhone off a shelf by the garage entrance(!?). (My thought is that she got my alert, opened the garage to look for my car, and didn’t see it since I had gone down to the cul-de-sac.”


She stumbles through something about how it ended up in one of her bags and she noticed it when she got home.  Ok, whatever, just give it to me.


Then I call text Cameron. “I GOT IT!!!!!”  “Really?”  So I call him from his wife’s phone.


Victory.  Thanks, Apple.


And to celebrate, some delicious Yogi Frozen Yogurt. With Sprinkles. :) Thanks for making my day a little more interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment