Tuesday, January 10, 2012



Riding in Style!






Heading down to the tarmac






Pulling up to our plane, CRAZYYYYY






Thanks, Delta!






The dreaded text...



January 10, 2012:  This post is supposed to be about how we’re stuck in Atlanta for the night because we missed our flight.  But instead, it’s a tale of a level of customer service that I’ve never before experienced.


Our flight out of San Juan was slightly delayed, and we had a tight 39 minute connection in ATL to begin with. We land with about 25 minutes until our flight home was scheduled to take off. That’s doable.  But then the taxi to our gate takes 7 minutes. And on the way in, I get a horrific text from TripIt. “DL422 arr Gate B36. 20 min until dep DL2281, gate C51.” My heart sunk. A quick look at the ATL Terminal map will tell you why.  B36 the the last gate in the terminal, C51 the last gate in the next one over.


Google Maps puts it at .6 miles from B36 to C51.   With my wife, my parents, the baby, a gate-checked stroller, and our carry-on luggage? Oh, and the gate closes 15 minutes before departure.  So we have 3 minutes to get off the plane and get over there. Which *is* doable if everyone runs a 6 minute mile. So I’m not about to give up.


We were the last row of business class and my parents the first exit row of economy, so we were going to be the first 4 off the plane. (Row 7 + Row 18 on the Boeing 757-200 for you non-travel nerds.) I tell them we’re going to leave the stroller behind and just run as hard and fast as we can, and when I get to the gate I’ll beg for them to hold it a few more moments.


Ready………..Set………………..Announcement?


"Passenger Brad Ward, please meet me directly outside of the plane."


"Are you Brad Ward?"


"Yes…"


"Come with me, please. We’re driving you over to your next flight."


"Can my parents come too?!?!?!?!?!?!"


"Yes, let’s go!"


And just like that, we were whisked away.  Out the side door of the jetbridge, down to the tarmac, and right into a shiny new Porsche Cayenne. What on Earth is happening?!


"As a valued high priority member of the Delta family, we wanted to make sure you did not miss your flight home.  And we’ve also grabbed your stroller for you out of the cargo hold."


Away we go, across the airport, with taxiing airplanes all around us.  The Porsche pulls up to the steps, we walk up and straight on to our flight. With minutes to spare. With time for pictures and some video too, of course :)


So instead of typing this from Atlanta, I’m doing it from the comforts of home. And I’m very thankful for that. Thanks to Delta for amazing and unexpected customer service. WHAT A RIDE!

No comments:

Post a Comment